I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at NC State University. I earned my Ph.D. and M.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University in 2011 and 2006, respectively, and my B.S. in Computer Engineering from Penn State in 2004.
My research focuses on the design, optimization, and measurement of security for operating systems, specifically on mobile phones, and the complex environments in which they operate. Through the design and evaluation of practical enhancements to existing architectures, my research seeks to improve security guarantees in commodity computer systems.
Information regarding my TaintDroid research is available at appanalysis.org.
Information regarding my ded research decompiling and studying Android applications available at siis.cse.psu.edu/ded.
I organize a security lunch for students at NC State. Please see the schedule for more information.
Office: 3260 Engineering Building II
Phone: (919) 513-7905
Email: enck at cs.ncsu.edu
Department of Computer Science
3320 Engineering Building II
Office Hours (Spring 2014): Tuesdays, 10:00-11:00am
Current PhD Students:
- Ben Andow (expected 2018)
- Albert Gorski (expected 2017)
- Adwait Nadkarni (expected 2016)
- TJ OConnor (expected 2018)
- Ashwin Shashidharan (expected 2016)
- Vasant Tendulkar (expected 2017)
- Jason Gionta [co-advised with Dr. Peng Ning] (expected 2015)
- Ruowen Wang [co-advised with Dr. Peng Ning] (expected 2015)
Recent Professional Activities
- General Chair, 2013 ACM CCS Workshop on Security and Privacy in Smartphones and Mobile Devices (SPSM)
- Program Committee, 2015 ISOC Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS)
- Program Committee, 2014 Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC)
- Program Committee, 2014 ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS)
- Program Committee, 2014 International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys)
- Program Committee, 2014 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland)
- Program Committee, 2013 USENIX Security Symposium
- Program Committee, 2015 ACM Conference on Data and Application Security and Privacy (CODASPY)
- Program Committee, 2015 Financial Cryptography and Data Security (FC)
May 7, 2014: Our paper, ASM: A Programmable Interface for Extending Android Security, has been accepted for publication at the 2014 USENIX Security Symposium.
May 7, 2014: Our paper, NativeWrap: Ad Hoc Smartphone Application Creation for End Users, has been accepted for publication at the 2014 ACM Conference on Security and Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks (WiSec).
April 5, 2014: The journal version of our TaintDroid paper has been accepted to the ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS).
April 4, 2014: Our paper, An Application Package Configuration Approach to Mitigating Android SSL Vulnerabilities, has been accepted for publication at the 2014 IEEE Mobile Security Technologies workshop (MoST).
February 26, 2014: The March 2014 issue of Communications of the ACM contains a research highlight on TaintDroid.
- I am an Assistant Professor in the department of Computer Science at the North Carolina State University
- I am a National Science Foundation CAREER Award winner (CNS-1253346).
- My work has appeared in many major technical venues, including USENIX Security, ACM CCS, USENIX OSDI, USENIX ATC, ACM MobiCom, and NDSS.
- I am a co-founder of the ACM CCS Workshop on Security and Privacy in Smartphones and Mobile Devices (SPSM)
- My research has been covered by The New York Times and CNET among other international press venues. I was also interviewed by FOX News (video).
- I received my Ph.D. from the Computer Science and Engineering department at the Pennsylvania State University in May of 2011.
- I am a recipient of the Penn State University Alumni Association Dissertation Award for 2010-2011.
- I am a founding member and former lead graduate student of the Systems and Internet Infrastructure Security Laboratory.
- I worked as a research intern at AT&T Research and Intel Labs.
- I was a member of 2007 EVEREST academic study [pdf] of voting equipment sponsored by the Ohio Secretary of State.
- My Erdös number is 3 (Paul Erdös--Fan Chung--William Aiello--Me).