I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at NC State University. I earned my Ph.D. and M.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University in 2011 and 2006, respectively, and my B.S. in Computer Engineering from Penn State in 2004.
My research focuses on the design, optimization, and measurement of security for operating systems, specifically on mobile phones, and the complex environments in which they operate. Through the design and evaluation of practical enhancements to existing architectures, my research seeks to improve security guarantees in commodity computer systems.
- ASM research at androidsecuritymodules.org
- NativeWrap privacy tool source code and app on the Google Play Store
- WHYPER natural language processing (NLP) of app descriptions
- TaintDroid research at appanalysis.org
- Android app decompliation at siis.cse.psu.edu/ded
I organize a security lunch for students at NC State. Please see the schedule for more information.
Office: 3260 Engineering Building II
Phone: (919) 513-7905
Email: enck at cs.ncsu.edu
Department of Computer Science
3320 Engineering Building II
Office Hours (Fall 2014): Tuesdays, 3:45-4:45pm
Current PhD Students:
- Ben Andow (expected 2018)
- Albert Gorski (expected 2017)
- Adwait Nadkarni (expected 2016)
- TJ OConnor (expected 2018)
- Ashwin Shashidharan (expected 2016)
- Vasant Tendulkar (expected 2017)
- Jason Gionta [co-advised with Dr. Peng Ning] (expected 2015)
- Ruowen Wang [co-advised with Dr. Peng Ning] (expected 2015)
- Luke Deshotels [co-advised with Dr. Purush Iyer] (expected 2018)
Recent Professional Activities
- General Chair, 2013 ACM CCS Workshop on Security and Privacy in Smartphones and Mobile Devices (SPSM)
- Program Committee, 2015 USENIX Security Symposium
- Program Committee, 2015 ISOC Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS)
- Program Committee, 2014 Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC)
- Program Committee, 2014 ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS)
- Program Committee, 2014 International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys)
- Program Committee, 2014 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland)
- Program Committee, 2015 ACM Conference on Data and Application Security and Privacy (CODASPY)
- Program Committee, 2015 Financial Cryptography and Data Security (FC)
- Program Committee, 2015 DFRWS Annual Digital Forensics Conference
- Program Committee, 2015 Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS)
August 25th, 2014: I was awarded $49,726 by ARO for my proposal entitled "Refining Security for Smartphone Applications."
August 15, 2014: Our paper, SEER: Practical Memory Virus Scanning as a Service, has been accepted for publication at the 2014 Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC).
May 7, 2014: Our paper, ASM: A Programmable Interface for Extending Android Security, has been accepted for publication at the 2014 USENIX Security Symposium.
- I am an Assistant Professor in the department of Computer Science at the North Carolina State University
- I am a National Science Foundation CAREER Award winner (CNS-1253346).
- My work has appeared in many major technical venues, including USENIX Security, ACM CCS, USENIX OSDI, USENIX ATC, ACM MobiCom, and NDSS.
- I am a co-founder of the ACM CCS Workshop on Security and Privacy in Smartphones and Mobile Devices (SPSM)
- My research has been covered by The New York Times and CNET among other international press venues. I was also interviewed by FOX News (video).
- I received my Ph.D. from the Computer Science and Engineering department at the Pennsylvania State University in May of 2011.
- I am a recipient of the Penn State University Alumni Association Dissertation Award for 2010-2011.
- I am a founding member and former lead graduate student of the Systems and Internet Infrastructure Security Laboratory.
- I worked as a research intern at AT&T Research and Intel Labs.
- I was a member of 2007 EVEREST academic study [pdf] of voting equipment sponsored by the Ohio Secretary of State.
- My Erdös number is 3 (Paul Erdös--Fan Chung--William Aiello--Me).